Sunday, September 2, 2007

1950 Done (Mostly)

If results of the 1950 Western International League season are what you're after, they're all on the 1950 page. There are scores for all of them, linescores for all but a handful and at least a one-line story from various sources on most of them. Despite conflicting newspaper numbers and my poor math skills, I think I have accurate standings after most game-nights.

Unfortunately, the CUPE strike in Vancouver that has shut down the library and its newspaper archives is still on, otherwise I could flesh out some of the stories and add the missing linescores. I especially wanted to check the Vancouver News-Herald for Clancy Loranger's (I'm presuming it was his) front page story on rumours of Tri-City moving, as well as the flap regarding the Vancouver official scorer (the current Vancouver official scorer, Pat Karl, is guessing it was the late Eric Whitehead), and more on the proposal to move the Salem club to New Westminster.

If you're waiting for the 1951, 1952 and 1954 seasons (and the pre-war years of 1937-1942), you will be waiting for awhile. Now that September is here, I am involved with a number of organisations which will take up about all my spare time until next summer and thus I will be unable to carry on with the game-by-game roundup. And I still can't finish 1949 until the strike ends and I check the archives to confirm six weeks worth of linescores.

No comments: